U.S. Army Garrison Hohenfels provides premier installation management support and services that enhance the readiness of Joint and Multinational forces, ensures the highest level of quality of life in a secure and sustainable environment, and enables Soldiers to soldier, Leaders to lead, and Families to grow.
The Hohenfels Training Area is located in the Free
State of Bavaria in the Oberpfalz (Upper Palatinate) and is
named after the market town of Hohenfels.
Throughout Bavaria's history, there were many armies that roamed this region. The city of Regensburg was founded by the Romans in 179 A.D. In 788, Charlemagne pulled Bavaria into his empire. In the 1600s, the Swedes occupied Regensburg, and Napoleon was based in Regensburg in 1809 during his fight with the Austrians.
The German Army founded the training area in Hohenfels in 1938. In 1951, it became a U.S. Forces training area and was used primarily by U.S. Forces until 1956. In 1955, the German Bundeswehr was founded, and in 1956 the first German unit was stationed in Camp Poellnricht until their inactivation in 2001.
From 1956 to 1988, the Hohenfels Training Area was used by NATO forces consisting primarily of American, German, Canadian, and occasionally British and French forces. In 1988, Hohenfels became the home of the Combat Maneuver Training Center, the mission of which was to provide realistic combined arms training for the United States Army, Europe, and Seventh Army's maneuver battalion task forces in force-on-force exercises.
CMTC was transformed and officially named the Joint Multinational Readiness Center in December 2005. This transformation leverages the unique capability of the JMRC to train U.S. forces for joint and multinational coalition warfare. With over 95 percent of foreign allies in the Global War on Terrorism coming from the EUCOM AOR, the JMRC's location in the heart of the EUCOM AOR provides the best opportunity for U.S. Forces to train with their coalition partners prior to joining them in combat. It is the largest USAREUR maneuver training area and comes under the command of the Commanding General, Joint Multinational Training Center, Grafenwoehr. More than 60,000 soldiers (U.S. and allied) train here annually.